Parents play a vital role in their young athletes career by providing both emotional & financial support.
On the PSA TV Parent Channel we have gathered a bits of information from past conferences & seminars that, as a parent, you may find interesting & helpful.
Take a look around & stay tuned for more tips as they become available.
Supportive Sports Parent Responsibilities & Tips:
- Be sure your skater is on time for every practice
- Reiterate importance of a good warm-up & cool down
- Help them keep equipment in good repair
- Choose a coach wisely then let them do their job
- Take care of athlete health & injury issues
- Provide a safe & positive environment
- Keep up with skating rules
- Encourage your child to develop their own self-awareness of skills they have gained. This will enhance self-confidence and facilitate the transfer of such skills to other areas of life.
- Put trust in the coaches’ methods. If the same messages are being portrayed by both the parent and the coach then there is a lower chance of the child becoming confused, which means they will be able to focus more on working towards set goals.
- Provide emotional and tangible support. This may seem obvious, but reassuring your child that you are there when they need you will show your support.